Provinces of Karasem
Provinces of Karasem are the first administrative division of country, directly below the state government. There are currently 12 Provinces plus 1 special federal city government, Kota Baru.
Shortly after its independence on 1949, Karasem was divided into 5 province, this not including the Keshan Province which was not part of Karasem at that time. After the Keshan Civil War ended in 1954, Keshan become part of Karasem and become 6th Province of it. In 1963, Cikulon Province split into 3 province, North Cikulon Province, Central Cikulon Province and South Cikulon Province and later in 1970, Melaka Archipelago Province formed, in total, Karasem had 9 province at 1970. After Bompa War in 1975, Karasem gained North Bompa Province as its new province from the occupation of Pulau Bompa.
With the capital movement in 1964 toward Cibebek and later to Kota Baru in 1978, Meriah Special Capital region dissolved and merged with North Cikulon Province though since 2011, re-formation of this province proposed in Karasem Legiselature.
List of Current Provinces
Since 1989, with the formation of South Langkap Province, Karasem has 12 Provinces:
|No||Province||Capital||Population (2010 census)||Land Size(Kmsq)||Density|
|3||South Cikulon||Tanjung Bambu||13,504,922||19,281||700|
|9||North Langkap||Langkap City||3,692,291||35,922||103|
|10||Melaka Archipelago||Kota Merah||1,791,822||19,849||90|
There are several former province in Karasem which was either dissolved and merged into other province or seceded from Karasem
- North Bompa Province (1975-1996) - Separated from Karasem after 1996 referendum
- Kota Meriah Capital District (1949-1978) - Dissolved and merged into North Cikulon Province
- Keshan Special Autonomy District (1955-1972) - Changed its status and redefined its border with Kedang Province
In additional, Belitung Island was claimed to be part of Karasem during the dispute between 1950-1999 as Belitung Province.
Merger and Split Proporsal
Several proporsal have been made to form these province:
- Meriah Metropolis - Proposed as a major metropolitan province including Meriah-Muara Karang metropolitan area.
- Cibebek Metropolis - Similar like Meriah Metropolis Plan
- South Natuna Province - Proposed to split from East Natuna Province.